Tuesday 9 March 2010

Crochet

So this weekend I learned to crochet. I can already sew and knit, so I though I would round out my tripartite of crafty skills! This was brought on by one of my dear friends announcing that this summer she would be having a bundle of joy. Now my friend lives on the other side of the world so this had to be a gift that would be relatively light to post internationally. So I thought that a nice idea would be to make her a handmade baby blanket, living on the other side of the world it would be winter when her baby is born, so this would be quite a useful present as well. Now unfortunately I am a very slow knitter and I am rather time poor at this moment what with the degree and moving and all! So I needed a second option...

So I looked up crocheting on the internet, found out that it was a lot quicker to do than knitting, and though- hey this is the craft for me. So I went to my favourite yarn shop in the world and brought a couple of crochet hooks. On a side note I am very lucky to live in a town with an awesome wool shop. Its run by a little old lady and considering how small the shops customer base must be she sells yarn at a very good price ( for example only 99p each for the crochet hooks!). So she kitted me out with a couple of hooks, I came home and found a youtube tutorial and off I went. And I have to say, it is very easy to learn and very quick to do. In a weekend I managed to learn how to do it from scratch and hook up (is that the right verb??!) the centre piece for the blanket I want to make. Quick, easy and satisfying- my definition of a good craft!



The moral of this story being... learn how to crochet. Oh and another positive is that I can sit close to my lovely boyfriend J and do it, since when I am knitting I do have the unfortunate tendency to spend all of my time elbowing him in the process!



Both picture are of my blanket centre piece taken against the background of my Mum's sofa... classy hey!

3 comments:

  1. I am so jealous! I learnt to crochet from youtube too but I was nowhere near scarf ready for ages! I laboured over a swatch for ages and ended up with a very 3 sided square!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I still think my favourite thing about crochet is how fast it is. Its so satisfying to be able to make progress quickly! Best of luck with moving this week. Ros xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My housemate during uni used to do lots of crochet and I always used to be surprised how quick it was.
    It's on my list of things to learn!

    ReplyDelete