Saturday 27 March 2010

Saturday Steals

So i’m continuing on the produce theme for my Saturday Steals this week! Last week it was potatoes this week its carrots!

So my Mum got these carrots on sale for 50p for the whole pack, and she then gave them to me! So technically they’re free to me! You can’t get a bigger steal than that!

So since just telling you about free carrots doesn’t make a particularly interesting post, I thought I would tell you what I made with them. Remember the sweet potatoes from last week? Well not even I can eat that many, so I still had a few left over. Cue the most orange soup you will ever see- Spicy Red Lentil, Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup.



To make this homage to orangeness you will need: 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, some red lentils, 6 carrots, 3 sweet potatoes, about 3 pints of chicken stock, garam masala, hot chili powder and cayenne pepper. (Did I mention that this makes an awful lot of soup!)



To begin, mince the garlic and chop the onion in to a stock pot with a little bit of olive oil. Saute them until the onion is translucent. Add to this the chopped vegetables and red lentils and then cover in the stock. Cook until the vegetable are cooked and then blend the mixture. At this point add the spices to your mix depending on how spicy you feel like making your soup. You may also want to add a bit more water as mine turned out a little on the thick side.

Then sit back and enjoy your thrifty homage to orangeness!

4 comments:

  1. British Carrots "No Need To Peel"??? Seriously? How cool are carrots that are free AND you don't have to peel? That soup looks hella yummy too :o) I'm snagging the recipe to try it out when my carrots in the garden mature. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lushious! There is something magical about fresh produce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm..I love soup, AND I have all the ingredients for this in my cupboard. I may well make it tomorrow!

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! That soup looks AMAZING, and even better, it sounds just about as healthy as any soup can get.

    Also, those carrots for some reason look really delicious to me. So fresh-looking, so crisp-looking, and PEEL FREE! I've never been turned on by a carrot before, but, I gotta tell ya...those are lookin' pretty good right now! (Carrots in Canada and the US are nowhere near as lovely.)

    Awesome steal! I hope you keep contributing!

    ReplyDelete